GSNJ Collections—Research Assistance and Copies
GSNJ offers assistance to those who cannot access our collections in person or who have questions about our holdings. Please note that requests will be completed for records or information within GSNJ Collections only. Requests will be answered as promptly as possible by GSNJ’s Corresponding Secretary. Membership in GSNJ is not required for research requests but support for GSNJ is encouraged. Thank you for your Membership.
Things We Cannot Do:
1) Guarantee that our search for records will be successful.
2) Research beyond the GSNJ collections.
3) Extended research on family surnames or individuals.
Other Avenues for Research
If the search within the GSNJ Collections does not provide the information you require; if you need research outside of GSNJ’s collections either at the SC/UA Rutgers, New Jersey State Archives, or other repositories; or if you need assistance with a particular research problem, consider hiring a New Jersey-based professional researcher. GSNJ maintains a list of New Jersey Professional Researchers who can provide individualized research or record lookups. The list contains names of researchers, contact information, and areas of expertise. Please contact a researcher directly for information on services, pricing, and other terms. (Please note that inclusion on GSNJ’s list does not imply endorsement of an individual’s services.)
To Request Research Assistance and Copies
Use the GSNJ Online Finding Aids to locate collections that have the surnames you are looking for and include any dates and details you find. Nearly all of GSNJ’s Finding Aids, except those for the General and Miscellenous Collections, are searchable and online. If requesting a record from the GSNJ Bible and Family Records Collection, please provide the published record number and family name. Note that providing record numbers and/or complete family names and dates will speed your request.
You may submit a request in a number of ways:
- Mail-In—Download and fill-in the GSNJ Collections—Research Request Form and mail your completed request form to:
GSNJ Corresponding Secretary
P.O. Box 664, Hopewell, NJ 08525
Please include a self-addressed, stamped business-sized envelope so research results can be mailed back to you.
- E-Mail—Download and fill-in the GSNJ Collections—Research Request Form and e-mail your completed request form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online Form—Fill out our online form (below) and submit it to GSNJ’s Corresponding Secretary.